In thinking through how to do missions in your church, there are several great resources and articles available. It is important to have an overall strategy to mobilize the church in daily life, locally, in-state, nationally, and internationally. Think long-term, strategic, and discipleship. Disciple new believers, but also invest in your mission volunteers to become disciple-makers of disciple-makers. Here is a list of helpful resources to think through developing an overall missional strategy, pros/cons of short-term trips, and preparing and planning for mission engagement. *
- Acts 1:8 Mission Strategy Planning Guide (pdf) – by North Carolina Baptist Convention. Some aspects are specific to that convention, but great resource!
- Embracing the Acts 1:8 Challenge: Leadership Guide. (pdf) – by NAMB & IMB. This one is dated, so some info is obsolete. However, it is FULL of ideas for local, state, national and international mission. A great resource to pull from and develop a strategy that fits your context and church.
- Shaped by God’s Heart: The Passion & Practices of Missional Churches – book. by Milfred Minatrea
- 5 Questions I would Ask a Missionary Before I Supported Him – by Justin Bullington
- So Many Choices! How Do You Know Who To Partner with Missionally? 7 Key Questions to Ask. – by Tiffany Smith
EFFECTIVENESS OF SHORT-TERM MISSIONS
- 4 Reasons Short-Term Missions Really Work – by Pete Wilson
- 5 Pros & Cons of Short-term Missions – David Peach
- Are Short-Term Trips Worth the Trouble? – Trevin Wax
- In Defense of Short-Term Missions: The Movement has Shortcomings. But ultimately, its’s worth defending. – by Paul Borthwick
- Serving with Eyes Wide Open: Doing Short-term Missions with Cultural Intelligence – by David Livermore
- Helping Without Hurting in Short-Term Missions: Leader’s Guide – by Steve Corbett & Brian Fikkert (participant guides, available)
- When Helping Hurts: The Small Group Experience: An Online Video-Based Study on Alleviating Poverty – by Steve Corbett & Brian Fikkert (videos go with study)
- Toxic Charity: How Churches and Charities Hurt Those They Help. And How to Reverse It. – by Robert Lupton
PLANNING/PREPARING FOR SHORT TERM MISSION ENGAGEMENT:
- 5 Questions Your Mission Team Needs to Ask
- Healthy Mission Connections: 7 Things You Need to Ask
- Travel & Safety Training is Crucial for Christian Traveling Abroad!
- How to Adopt a Church Planter Family (pdf)
- Equipped for Adventure: A Practical Guide to Short-Term Mission Trips – by Scott Kirby
- Mission Trip Prep Kit Leader’s Guide – by Kevin Johnson (There is a participant guide, too)
- Short-Term Missions Workbook: From Mission Tourists to Global Citizens – by Tim Dearborn
Websites with a variety of missional content:
- The Exchange – a blog by Ed Stetzer
* Obviously, this list is not comprehensive, but it is a great place to start. If you know of a key resource that needs to be added, feel free to drop me a note!